Checking is not testing
This exercise may help you understand this better.
Try these "Tests" on the Calculator to the above.
- 1 + 1 = gives 2
- 1 - 1 = gives 0
- 8 + 4 = gives 12
- 9 + 1 = gives 10
- 4 - 7 = gives error
Did the calculator give the correct answers?
Could this calculator pass an automated test suite with the prescribed checks?
Good, it works. Right?
it for real.
Make observations about strange behaviors.
Try entering math problems not on the list.
These are some of the known/built in issues with the calculator:
- Most problems that are not on the check list give a rude error message.
- 5 + 5 gives a special message.
- When you press click the 8, the 5 changes color.
- The 9 is has incorrect styling.
- The entire user interface is weird and difficult to use.
See if you can find more, please let me know if you do.
I was looking for something to build with C# and decided to recreate this silly little "Calculator": CheckingIsNotTesting.zip